Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Radio Review: Talk Radio

Cross-post from The World...IMHO

I was glad to come across this article, because it gives me the opportunity to address an issue I've been wanting to address.


I started listening to Rush Limbaugh in 2000, during the Florida recount fiasco during the Presidential election. I started listening to Sean Hannity about the same time.
I now listen to neither of them, but for different reasons:
Sean Hannity is 'Catholic', but a couple years ago, he decided to come out in support of birth control and embryonic stem cell research.
These are both serious contradictions of Catholic teaching; I happen to believe that a Catholic in the public eye has a special responsibility to not publicly oppose Catholic teachings. I am NOT saying I expect every Catholic to 'preach' the faith, but taking positions like this, he is going to cause confusion as to true Catholic teachings.
I recently stopped listening to Rush, because I truly believe he has 'lost it' and gone too far to the extreme right. I particularly disagree with his constant and relentless attacks on McCain and Huckabee, presumably because they are not conservative enough for him. Rush has a large audience, and this is very damaging to the conservative cause he claims to support. Likewise for Ann Coulter, who has gone so far as to say she would actually campaign for Hillary against McCain. Both Rush and Coulter are causing a rift in the GOP. They are making it easier for Hillary (gag!) or Obama(gag!) to win in 2008.
I work from home, and I have radio on all day (Sirius satellite) However, As far as radio goes, I will not be listening to Rush, Hannity or Coulter.

article here

5 comments:

March Hare said...

For those very reasons I listen to classical music! My local Bay Area station is KDFC. They also broadcast over the internet (handy when I'm at work) at www.kdfc.com.

Who needs to be aggravated at work?

I also have it on during the morning rush to school and to work. Classical music just seems to make the morning flow better. And I don't have to worry about the lyrics!

Julie D. said...

I agree! Classical music if I have to really think and then podcasts (which is like my own programmed talk radio or stories) if I am doing mental "ditch digging" and would be bored stiff otherwise. :-D

Julie D. said...

I agree! Classical music if I have to really think and then podcasts (which is like my own programmed talk radio or stories) if I am doing mental "ditch digging" and would be bored stiff otherwise. :-D

Michelle Obama's Left Nut said...

If Rush is wrong for going after McCain and Huckabee for being not conservative enough - then why is it okay for you to go after him for having "'lost it' and gone too far to the extreme right"?

Regarding McCain and Huckabee, it is perfectly acceptable for someone who takes conservative principles to attack these two candidates - both are big government Republicans who offer little for those who want to reduce government, stop illegal immigration, see good judges appointed and reduce spending.

Sean Hannity is pro-embryonic stem cell research? Can you provide an example of his support? I'm not a huge fan of his shows but I find it hard to believe he's come out for this kind of research.

KaleJ said...

Sorry, but Rush and Coulter are not conservative and they are not splitting the party. McCain, Romney and the establishment have already alienated the conservatives. They just want them to go away so the GOP can continue its drift into the liberal left.

It is so scripted, one can imagine the writers came off strike to work for the GOP. See my thoughts here.