Sunday, September 5, 2010

Movie Review: Eat Pray Love

Julia Roberts is Liz Gilbert, a married woman who is unhappy in her marriage.  When she tells her husband, he literally begs her to try to work things out.  Despite his willingness to try, she decides to go travel and "find herself".   She has a brief affair with David Piccolo and that doesn't last, so she then goes to India, Rome and then back to India. She tries Hinduism in India, but the majority of the movie is watching Liz and her friends eat.  It's not pretty, in more ways than one.  

I found Julia's character Liz to be very selfish, and totally consumed with self-gratification.  She is clearly looking for happiness.  She strikes me as an obviously depressed person, full of self-pity.

I usually like Julia Roberts' movies, but it's been a while since I found a movie so tough to sit through; in fact, I made it about two thirds  through and left.  I couldn't take much more of watching people stuffing their faces  and feeling sorry for themselves.

One positive thing I could say about this movie is that it reminded me how glad I am that I'm Catholic.

One word: Disappointing.

No comments: