Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - PG

I took my nephews, ages 7 to 13, to see The Water Horse and it was a verygood movie. The setting is Scotland, during World War II. A little boy named Angus finds an egg which hatches into a sea creature called a water horse. For a while, it is in his bathtub, but it soon outgrows that. Eventually, he releases him into the loch (lake). He seems to be doing well there until the Army starts shooting a cannon into the lake. When Angus returns to the loch, the creature, who he named Crusoe, remembers him. Crusoe is now the famous Lochness monster. I don't want to say any more to spoil the movie, but it is very entertaining and there is no foul language, no sex scenes or anything else objectional. I highly recommend.


2 comments:

Joe Healy said...

My wife and I took our two girls, ages 7 and 6, to see this, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a fun movie and it seems harmless. The only possible negative, if there is one, is it's yet another story of a child befriending a monster. I wonder what author Michael O'Brien would say about that in the context of his book "A Landscape With Dragons".

Anonymous said...

In the original story the Army is not shooting at the poor creature. Just one more anti-military message out there. Our brave troops protect our freedom to make these kind of statements.