Friday, May 30, 2008

Father Raymond J. de Souza on Sex and the City: The story of four insecure women searching for love

Father Raymond comments on the Sex and the City movie, which opens today.

To great popular culture fanfare, the Sex and the City movie opens on Friday. I don’t expect that I shall see it, so I thought I might offer a comment beforehand. Indeed, I rather missed the entire television series, but for a rather extraordinary confluence of events.

Some years ago, I was asked by my friends at Maclean’s to arrange for the participation of Cardinal Marc Ouellet, Archbishop of Quebec City, for their big 100th anniversary bash in Toronto. The program featured leading Canadians from industry, literature, science, show business, politics, etc., all giving various summaries of the decades of Maclean’s history. The cardinal was to arrive late from the airport, so he was assigned the last decade. Which was just as well, as the 1960s were introduced by Canadian actress Kim Cattrall, of Sex and the City fame, but of whom I was only vaguely aware. She did her bit in character, and had I known her character, I would not have wondered why a woman would present herself in public as more than a little bit trampy. At any rate, I was relieved that I did not have to explain to Cardinal Ouellet why I had asked him to be part of such a production, and nothing was said when he finally did arrive.

source here

cross-posted on A Catholic View

2 comments:

Heidi Hess Saxton said...

While I have no plans to see the movie, I have seen enough of the series to discuss its themes and characters with "fans." (For this purpose, I could follow the story lines without viewing the explicit scenes.)

For those who are interested, I posted a review about the series at "Mommy Monsters" that might assist who haven't actually seen the series discuss it intelligently. Here: http://mommymonsters.blogspot.com/2008/05/sex-and-city-microcosm-of-real-life.html

God bless! Heidi Saxton

Christine said...

Thanks Heidi!