Friday, April 23, 2010

Book Review: "Hide in Plain Sight" by Marta Perry

Andrea Hampton is a successful businesswoman. 
When her sister Rachel is hit by a car, Andrea returns to Pennsylvania to help Rachel and their grandmother with the Three Sisters Inn.
they are converting the large family estate into a bed-and-breakfast.  The problem is, there is someone who doesn't want the B&B to open.  Actually, Andrea isn't crazy about the idea either.  She would prefer they sold it, but nevertheless, she takes some time off from work to help them get it started.  She can't wait to return to work.  
They soon realize that Rachel's 'accident' was no accident,  and other dangerous events continue to occur.   Andrea must race against the clock to both get the inn open, and find out who is trying to stop them.  She gets help from both Cal Burke, her grandmother's tenant,  and the Amish family who live next door.

The story is quite captivating, but I think what I like most about this book is the characters; they are unique and distinct, and their roles in the story are well-defined.  Most importantly, two of the major characters each undergo a transformation; a change of heart.   I especially like like how  these two characters often turn to God.  Nothing dramatic, but they frequently utter short little prayers such as "Lord, show me the way" or "God, I need your help".   I identify especially with the character of Andrea.  At one time, I too put my job above all until I had a medical situation that made me realize the importance of family.

An excellent story that I can highly recommend.

2 comments:

Marta Perry said...

Thanks so much for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed my book.
Best,
Marta Perry

Christine said...

Thank you for stopping by. I just started "A Christmas to die for" :)