Monday, February 22, 2010

Beware of this book!

I just received this via email and wanted to pass it on.

Oprah is pushing it.

The name of the book is Conversations with God.. James Dobson talked about this book twice this week. It is devastating. Parents, churches and Christian schools need to be aware of it. Please pass this information on to church/e-mail addresses, Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, friends.

Please pay special attention not only to what your kids watch on TV, in movie theaters, on the Internet, and the music they listen to, but also be alert regarding the books they read..

Two particular books are, Conversations with God and Conversations with God for Teens, written by Neale D. Walsch. They sound harmless enough by their titles alone. The books have been on the New York Times best sellers list for a number of weeks, and they make truth of the statement, "Don't judge a book by its cover or title."

The author purports to answer various questions asked by kids using the "voice of God". However, the "answers" that he gives are not Bible-based and go against the very infallible word of God. For instance (and I paraphrase), when a girl asks the question "Why am I a lesbian?" His answer is that she was 'born that way' because of genetics (just as you were born right-handed, with brown eyes, etc.). Then he tells her to go out and "celebrate" her differences.

Another girls poses the question "I am living with my boyfriend. My parents say that I should marry him because I am living in sin. Should I marry him?"

His reply is, "Who are you sinning against? Not me, because you have done nothing wrong."

Another question asks about God's forgiveness of sin. His reply "I do not forgive anyone because there is nothing to forgive.. There is no such thing as right or wrong and that is what I have been trying to tell everyone, do not judge people. People have chosen to judge one another and this is wrong, because the rule is "'judge not lest ye be judged."
Not only are these books the false doctrine of the devil, but in some instances quote (in error) the Word of God.

3 comments:

Dan Guy said...

I read "Conversations with God" in 1996, at the encouragement of a young woman who I was courting. It is complete, readily-apparent hogwash.

Walsch is not so much answering using the voice of God as he is claiming that God is speaking to him and directly dictating the answers.

At the time, I researched Walsch online and discovered that there were many disgruntled people who had paid for his seminars and lectures and felt cheated. I'm sorry to hear that he's risen to Oprah-level fame now.

breadgirl said...

Hello Christine
Thanks for the heads up. We must always be on our guard,musn't we? I think a prayer which is a big help is the prayer to St Michael. Said daily, it is a bit of added protection against the 'snares of the devil'. I think it is a shame that it isn't said at the end of Mass, as it used to be when I was young. God bless you.

Christine said...

Thank you Breadgirl and God bless you also!