Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Incredible Hulk - PG13

I took my nephews to see The Incredible Hulk today. By now, you probably know most of the story: Bruce Banner is trying to find a cure for the experiment that turned him into the Hulk. Betty Ross is his girlfriend.

William Hurt plays General Ross, her father, who is hunting for the Hulk to use him as a weapon. It is revealed that General Ross was involved in the experiment that originally turned Bruce into the Hulk. Mr. Blue is a scientist who has been helping Bruce research an antidote. Emil Blonsky is a government agent who just wants the power of the Hulk; he gets it (with the help of Ross) and becomes another Hulk-type creature known as the Abomination. After trying to control or destroy the Hulk, General Ross finds himself helping the Hulk fight the Abomination.

I enjoy movies, and although some of them are just nonsensical entertainment, I do usually look for some type of theme that I can learn from. In this case, the government turns to the very person(creature?) they have been trying to destroy to now help them against the Abomination.

Isn't that how we treat God sometimes? we "forget" God and don't make time for him or prayer. But when facing some of the challenges of life (often created by ourselves) , He is often the first one we turn to.

content warning: there is one scene where Bruce and Betty start to have sex. It gets pretty suggestive, and I feel it did not belong in the movie. Fortunately, Bruce stops it before anything happens, but I was embarrassed that my nephews saw it.

In the end, Robert Downey Jr. makes an appearance as Tony Stark.

I was left with 2 questions after seeing this, and if you've seen it, I would love to get your thoughts on both in the combox:

1. What happened to Mr. Blue?
2 What did Tony Stark mean by "we"?

If you haven't seen it, don't look at the combox in case there are spoilers.

cross-posted on A Catholic View


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie, but if I had to guess about what Tony meant by "we", my guess would be The Avengers. The forthcoming Marvel movies--Captain America, Dr. Strange, Nick Fury--are all building over the next few years to a big Marvel Avengers film starring the actors from the individual hero films, or so the rumor goes.

Christine said...

Sounds cool...I hope you're right!