Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Movie Review: Heaven is for Real - PG

Coming to Theaters April 16, 2014 




Colton Burpo is the 4 year-old son of preacher Todd Burpo and his wife Sonya.  When Colton gets sick, his appendix bursts and although he doesn't die, he is given a vision of heaven.  Although people are skeptical, including Todd and Sonya, Colton describes seeing himself on the operating table and then meeting people such as his great-grandfather (as a child), and his miscarried unborn sister (who he was never told about), and these things cannot be explained away.   Todd must decide if, and how, to address Colton's experience to his congregation at Church.

I liked how  the story is told;  it is straight-forward and realistic with the appropriate moments of humor.  Greg Kinnear is particularly good as Todd Burpo, and  Connor Corum is amazing as Colton, especially being so young.

It is a simple yet important message that Colton conveys to everyone, a bit at a time:  everyone is young in heaven, no one wears glasses in heaven, and no one will hurt you in heaven.  The messages add up to this: that Heaven IS for real, Jesus loves us, and He is coming again.

I highly recommend Heaven is for Real....bring the whole family!
 


1 comment:

Trish said...

The book, HEAVEN IS FOR REAL was a fascinating read for me. For many it has given them hope for eternal life. To me, this is a far too important a subject to put my hope in a little boy’s experience. I wanted to see what God had to say so I went to the Bible. I have written a Bible study about heaven. I would be delighted to send you a free copy. Email me at heaven.study@yahoo.com and I will email you a copy. I was disappointed in the movie, they added some things they did not happen and left out other great information. I suggest that if you have only seen the movie, you read the book. Trish Pickard