Saturday, July 10, 2010

Book Review: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larson

Mikael Blomkvist is a disgraced journalist in exile.  He published an article about criminal financial activity, and ended up being convicted of libel.  During his exile, he is engaged by Henrik Vanger to investigate the 40-year old disappearance of his great niece,  Harriet Vanger.   Henrik is convinced that she was murdered.  He also offers Blomkvist an opportunity to restore his reputation.

Blomkvist begins to connect  Harriet's disappearance to a series of gruesome murders that occurred over many  years.  At about this point, he enlists the help of Lisbeth Salander, an anti-social loner who has tattoos, piercings, and happens to be an expert researcher and hacker. 

Blomkvist and Salander make an intriguing and entertaining team.  Their personalities are both different and complimentary.  They soon develop a sense of trust in each other,  but there are several people who don't want them to pursue the investigation.    They get close to the truth and  find themselves in danger.

The story takes place in Sweden, which gives it unique quality from the many books that are based in the United States.  One quirky fact that amused me is that in most scenes, someone is either making coffee or drinking coffee...I can definitely relate :) 

I truly enjoyed the story. Stieg Larson has a unique but purposeful style of writing that gradually puts the pieces together. 

To be honest, I would call this an adults-only book.  There are 2 scenes of sexual abuse, and 1 scene of torture.  There is also some objectionable language at times.

3 comments:

EJ said...

I came across your blog through a Google Search for: "Coffee References in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and I was delighted to see a Catholic blog! :) So it got to the point in the book where they must have mentioned making coffee/cleaing the coffee pot/getting a coffee at a shop about 3 times PER PAGE and I wished I'd made note of how often it was really mentioned! I'm just starting the 2nd book and I'm going to take a tally...I'll have to let you know! :)

Christine said...

I think it must be a Swedish custom to have that much coffee...and it is often in a thermos.

I'm reading the second one also :)

Unknown said...

Definitely for adults only.